Far too many people file bankruptcy for the wrong reasons. There are good reasons to file bankruptcy and bad reasons. Ending the letters, phone calls and threats is NOT a good reason to choose bankruptcy.
The fact is consumers can stop collection agencies from harassing them with one simple technique – forever. If the firm continues in its efforts, they are liable for statutory fines and potential regulatory problems. Most collection firms use techniques that are borderline in terms of legality and some ignore the law completely.
Fortunately the U.S. government has very strict laws on what creditors and collection firms can do and may not due. This law is called the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or FDCPA. In addition, all states have their own laws regarding collection practices. In short the law states when they can call, whom they can call, how often they can call and most importantly – how you can force them to stop.
In this course you will learn:
- What to say why you get receive a call or letter
- What your rights are
- The risks of not paying a legitimate debt
- What a creditor may attach if they sue and win (very unlikely)
- Precise instructions on ending all communication
- Sample language for cease and desist letters
- How to sue the collector and win without an attorney